There’s nothing ordinary about the story of the post. From five-wheeled cycles and rockets to a lioness and flintlock pistols, the award-winning Postal Museum offers a surprising and entertaining half day out for all ages.
See a restored Mail Coach that thundered across 1800s Britain, get up close to the only existing sheets of the world’s first postage stamp, the Penny Black, and explore Mail Rail – one of London’s hidden gems – with a 15-minute ride through the underground tunnels of the Post Office’s own 100-year-old railway.
Forget what you think you know about the post and visit one of London's newest museums to discover just what it took to keep us all in touch.
• Take an underground train ride on the unique Mail Rail
• See the world's only sheets of Penny Black stamps
• Sort the mail on a mock-up train carriage with wobbly floor
• See a Victorian miniature rail car used by people and post!
• Discover iconic posters from a 1930s design revolution
• Admission tickets include a 15-minute ride on Mail Rail and access to all exhibitions
• Sorted! The Postal Play Space (for kids 0-8) is not included. Tickets may be purchased on arrival
• Annual entry to the Museum's exhibitions
• Downloadable audio guide. May be purchased on arrival. Own device and headphones required.
Know Before You Book
• Mail Rail is a miniature railway designed to carry post, not people. As such, it's not suitable for everyone and we're unfortunately unable to accommodate wheelchair users on the ride itself.
• All other areas of The Postal Museum provide step-free access
• The Postal Museum is open 10am-5pm every day except 24-26 December unless otherwise stated
• The nearest Tube stations are Farringdon, Russell Square, King’s Cross and Chancery Lane.
Know Before You Go
• Please ensure you arrive at least 15 minutes before the end of the one-hour Mail Rail timeslot shown on your ticket. Failure to arrive on time may result in being unable to ride Mail Rail.
• Bring your voucher with you (on mobile or printed). Failure to present a valid voucher will result in not being admitted.
• Re-entry is permitted any time between 10am and 4:30pm on the date stated on the ticket.
You are expected to arrive on your selected date.
Please exchange your voucher at the till point upon arrival at the entrance of the Mail Rail to gain admission.
You are welcome to explore the exhibitions both before and after your train ride and will join the queue for the train ride. Last admission is 60 minutes before closing time, although we recommend a minimum of 90 minutes for a visit.